Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chemical Compounds

     For this blog, I used the label from a box of crackers.  I decided to pick three random compounds, and I found thiamin mononitrate, maltodextrin, and disodium guanylate.  Disodium inosinate has the chemical formula C10H11N4Na2O8P.  It is a food additive that is commonly found in snacks, and it is said to add an "umami-type" taste to foods.  Umami is a recently-discovered taste, and it is described as being broth-like.
     Maltodextrin is another food additive that is normally seen as a sprayed-on type white powder.  When I read this, it occurred to me that this discovery meant that there was artificial color in my crackers.  That did not entirely surprise me, but obviously something like that is not comforting.  The chemical formula is C6nH(10n+2)O(5n+1).  The third compound I found was thiamin mononitrate, which has a chemical formula ofC12H17ClN4OS.  This compound is derived from B vitamins, and is commonly known as vitamin B1.  Thiamine is an essential nutrient for living creatures because it enables them to perform vital cellular functions.
     This activity was very interesting for me because it allowed me to further consider what I am putting into my body.  Almost anything we interact with or purchase has a label, but how many of us take the time to read it?  And even though some of us may read it, how many fully understand what it says?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds interesting, but chills you to the bone to think that those chemicals in one box of crackers. You are right in saying why do we need artificial color in a box of crackers. You are in saying we need to read labels and becoming aware.

    ReplyDelete